IN COURT: Jed Lewis Morrison faced Dalby Magistrates Court on April 6. Picture: File
IN COURT: Jed Lewis Morrison faced Dalby Magistrates Court on April 6. Picture: File

Man attempts to ‘bait’ patrons into fight at Dalby pub

While the world was grappling with COVID-19 in 2020, patrons at the Russell Tavern were struggling to avoid a Dalby man who was swearing at them and demanding to fight.

Jed Lewis Morrison, 30, faced Dalby Magistrates Court on April 6, charged with public nuisance within a licensed premises.

Still need to activate your free Courier Mail subscription? Click here to find out how.

The court heard police were called to a disturbance at the Russell Tavern about midnight on March 6, 2020, several weeks before lockdowns began, to find Morrison arguing with hotel staff and patrons.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Chris Hutchins said security had intervened and stood between Morrison and other patrons, and punters avoided the bar area due to the defendant’s raucous behaviour.

Sergeant Hutchins said Morrison continued to call people “c---s”, while using other profanities.

Witnesses and hotel staff told police that Morrison was the aggressor during the disturbance, and said he was “antagonising” and had tried to “bait them into a fight”.

Morrison was then arrested for public nuisance and taken outside, where he continued his belligerent and disorderly behaviour.

He was subsequently taken to the watch-house and charged.

The court heard this offending breached a suspended sentence.

Sergeant Hutchins said there was “obviously substance abuse” in Morrison’s history.

Defence solicitor Claire Graham said she was instructed by Morrison that he would consent to a community service order, and her client had his drinking under control.

She said the unemployed man’s public nuisance offence was for “poor language”, and he was held in the watch-house for four hours after his arrest.

Magistrate Tracy Mossop told Morrison the best way to protect the community while rehabilitating him was to place him on probation.

Morrison pleaded guilty and was placed on probation for six months.

Ms Mossop then extended the operational period of Morrison’s suspended sentence, which had been placed in 2019, by four months.

Convictions were recorded.

Subscriber benefits:

How to activate your free Courier-Mail subscription

Five ways to get more from your digital subscription